cc-licenses - RE: Licensing of old out-of-copyright facsimiles?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Judith Combs" <jadelec1 AT san.rr.com>
  • To: "'Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts'" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: Licensing of old out-of-copyright facsimiles?
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 12:08:29 -0800

Thanks Greg - I didn't know about the Lulu site. The antique
publications (because the old typesets and many illustrations) take up
space - a 5" x 4" 40p pamphlet is about 3MB, and a typical hardbound
needlework book from 1860 or so takes 20MB - 30MB to get into pdf
format. I did a test on a free Geocities site with a few pages and an
announcement on one of the larger crochet needlework NGs, and the
combined file size and traffic shut it down fast. Judith

> hm, if bandwidth is the problem, you could put a bunch
> of patterns into a single PDF, and upload the whole works
> to Lulu.com. Lulu is a POD publisher requiring no money
> up front, and they charge a minimum amount of money per
> book. However, you can set up free downloads. My Perl
> book on Lulu is GNU-FDL, and the entire document can be
> downloaded for free from Lulu, or people can buy a paper
> copy if they so desire.
>
> If you set it up as a book on Lulu, you could offer the
> whole thing for free download, and if someone bought a
> copy, Lulu would make a bit of money to help pay for the
> bandwidth. Then it would be pretty much guaranteed that
> no one would have much incentive in trying to monopolize
> the public domain documents.
>
> Lulu is very open-source friendly. The founder was one
> of the original RedHat Linux people.
>
> P.S. I'll be on vacation starting tomorrow, so I may not
> be able to reply until a week from now or so.

instructions,