cc-licenses - RE: Licensing of old out-of-copyright facsimiles?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: Licensing of old out-of-copyright facsimiles?
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:50:40 -0500 (EST)

hm, if bandwidth is the problem, you could put a bunch
of patterns into a single PDF, and upload the whole works
to Lulu.com. Lulu is a POD publisher requiring no money
up front, and they charge a minimum amount of money per
book. However, you can set up free downloads. My Perl
book on Lulu is GNU-FDL, and the entire document can be
downloaded for free from Lulu, or people can buy a paper
copy if they so desire.

If you set it up as a book on Lulu, you could offer the
whole thing for free download, and if someone bought a
copy, Lulu would make a bit of money to help pay for the
bandwidth. Then it would be pretty much guaranteed that
no one would have much incentive in trying to monopolize
the public domain documents.

Lulu is very open-source friendly. The founder was one
of the original RedHat Linux people.

P.S. I'll be on vacation starting tomorrow, so I may not
be able to reply until a week from now or so.