cc-licenses - Licensing of old out-of-copyright facsimiles?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Erik Sandberg <Erik.Sandberg.9195 AT student.uu.se>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Licensing of old out-of-copyright facsimiles?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:02:26 +0100

Hi,

I am doing some noncommercial work on typesetting old music, based on
facsimiles
of out-of-copyright notes (see www.mutopiaproject.org). Right now, I am in
contact with a library which has a collection of handwritten scores from the
18th century.

The librarian I have spoke to, says that I am allowed to buy facsimiles of
these
notes from the library, as soon as I don't publish them directly. If I publish
the facsimiles in a book, they want me to pay them something like $70.

My plan is to buy these facsimiles, and use them to typeset a musical score
digitally. I will then have the full rights of what I have typeset (so I can
release it e.g. as Public Domain). So far, no problems.

Now I am also interested in sharing these facsimiles over Internet, so that
other people can help me by proofreading my score. Now the library refuses to
release their facsimiles as Public Domain, so I want to propose that I can
release it under another, more restrictive, license. Would any of your
licenses
fit particularly good for this purpose?

I have looked at Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0. To me it looks good,
but since I am not a lawyer, I just want to double-check that it also would be
suitable for this kind of purpose.

Thanks,
Erik
(please CC: replies to me, I am not subscribed to the list)