cc-licenses - RE: Licensing of old out-of-copyright facsimiles?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Judith Combs" <jadelec1 AT san.rr.com>
  • To: "'Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts'" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: Licensing of old out-of-copyright facsimiles?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:11:12 -0800

I've been lurking and (I hope) learning at this list for a few weeks -
this thread is on the subject I am also trying to figure out.

I am a fiber artist, with a side interest in historical needlework. I
have a collection of early (1840's - 1890's) crochet instructions,
patterns and samples that I have been translating into American English
modern terminology. I ultimately want to make copies of the originals
openly available to anyone who wants to use them, as long as no one
tries to restrict their use. I have *.pdf scans of most of them, and
was hoping to donate them to an online university library who can afford
the bandwidth to make them available. I want my translations available
for people to crochet, but not to reprint for profit. I want my digital
images of the completed projects protected.

So this account of a university trying to restrict the use of public
domain materials disturbs me. And needlework publishers have been
"borrowing" patterns for profit without compensating the designers from
the beginning of needlework publishing, and haven't stopped. Even
though my webmaster skills are rudimentary, at best, I can see that
publishing on the internet is probably the best way to make these
materials available. Do I need to use three different licenses?

Judith Combs
http://www.nornsneedlework.com