cc-licenses - RE: Licensing of old out-of-copyright facsimiles?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: Licensing of old out-of-copyright facsimiles?
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:18:08 -0500 (EST)

Judith Combs said:

> I've been lurking and (I hope) learning at this list for a few weeks -
> this thread is on the subject I am also trying to figure out.
>
> I am a fiber artist, with a side interest in historical needlework. I
> have a collection of early (1840's - 1890's) crochet instructions,
> patterns and samples that I have been translating into American English
> modern terminology. I ultimately want to make copies of the originals
> openly available to anyone who wants to use them, as long as no one
> tries to restrict their use.

If you put something like "Published 1890, now Public Domain"
then that should be all you need to say "Hands off".
If anyone tries to restrict their use, then others should be able
to go to your originals. i.e. the way to prevent restrictions
is to give it to more than one place so that no one has a monopoly.

I don't think you can claim copyright on the originals just because
you scanned them into a computer, so I don't think you can attempt
to restrict them with something like CC-ShareAlike. That might be
like that university library trying to restrict photocopies of
public domain works. They can say it, but I don't think copyright
law supports them.

> I have *.pdf scans of most of them, and
> was hoping to donate them to an online university library who can afford
> the bandwidth to make them available. I want my translations available
> for people to crochet, but not to reprint for profit. I want my digital
> images of the completed projects protected.

CC-NonCommercial