cc-licenses - Re: Dual-licensing under the GNU Free Documentation License and Creative Commons *-ShareAlike-*

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Jeremy <jeremy AT linuxquestions.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Dual-licensing under the GNU Free Documentation License and Creative Commons *-ShareAlike-*
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 16:24:49 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Evan Prodromou wrote:

So, I need some help with some license confusion. Here's the problem:

Wikitravel (http://wikitravel.org/ ) is a collaboratively-edited Free
travel guide. Our articles and images are available under the CC
Attribution-ShareAlike license 1.0 (henceforth "by-sa 1.0").

Some contributors would like to have their work made available for both
projects. To do so, they "dual license" their work -- offering it under
either the by-sa 1.0 or the GFDL, at the licensee's discretion. This is
not unprecedented; there are a number of dual-licensed Free Software
projects, including Mozilla and perl.

FWIW, the LQ Wiki (http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/ ) is having a very similar issue, although we use by-sa 2.0. We'd like to make our work available to the many GFDL sites such as Wikipedia, while also being able to use content from GFDL sites. We've also considered dual-licensing, but it indeed does seem to complicate things quite a bit. Am I correct in understanding that at some point in the future these licenses may be in some way compatible (and that progress in this direction is being made)?

--jeremy