cc-licenses - Re: License for group of authors on a blog

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: License for group of authors on a blog
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 23:24:30 -0400

Jim Cheetham wrote:

I had a quick review of their musings, and while interesting they missed what for me is the biggest point about a wiki - the multiple authorship.

It's a fascinating issue and one close to my heart.

I tend to take a temporal model of Wiki authorship. That is, I think each version of a wiki page is a Work which is a Derivative Work of the previous version. This seems to simplify things a lot, especially compared to the spatial model (this is my paragraph, this is your sentence, this is his punctuation mark), or a joint authorship model (everyone works together to make a work).

I can't see how to satisfy the Attribution of a document that has had multiple authors, some anonymous, some pseudonymous, and some identifiable/contactable.

We do this with MediaWiki. The wording goes something like, "Last edited by X, with contributions by Realname Person1 and Realname Person2, ThisWiki users Pseudo3 and Pseudo4, and anonymous users of ThisWiki."

Perhaps the wiki back-end changelog maintains the attributions for me, but not all wikis preserve the changelog when you backup/restore.

Ideas welcome ...

Use a wiki engine that preserves back-end changelogs when you backup and restore. B-)

~ESP