cc-licenses - Re: License for group of authors on a blog

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: mp <mp AT fsc.cc>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: aktivix <AktiviX AT burngreave.net>
  • Subject: Re: License for group of authors on a blog
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:06:15 +0100

hi,

thx for you input!

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 22:54, Jim Cheetham wrote:
> mp wrote:
> > a newly formed collective is discussing a similar issue here:
> > https://wiki.aktivix.org/AktiviX:Copyrights
>
> I had a quick review of their musings, and while interesting they missed
> what for me is the biggest point about a wiki - the multiple authorship.

Good point, however the problem of multiple authorship is central the
the questions raised on the page. Perhaps not explicitly so, so thx for
pointing that out.

> I can't see how to satisfy the Attribution of a document that has had
> multiple authors, some anonymous, some pseudonymous, and some
> identifiable/contactable.

Perhaps the group as such is a sufficient or satisfying "entity" to
attribute? There is nothing that says that a person or individual
require that attribution, is there? Can not the whole group, collective,
or community be attributed easily and painlessly? The multiple author
problem, as I see it, is pertinent rather to license change: if we have
decided on a Non-Commercial license and then subsequently wish to sell
it anyway to a specific "organisation" that we think is acceptable then
it is for most practical purposes impossible to "reverse engineer" the
complex of authorship. But that is a different problem, I believe?

> Perhaps the wiki back-end changelog maintains the attributions for me,
> but not all wikis preserve the changelog when you backup/restore.

Yes, there you can then go to find the details.

> Ideas welcome ...

I think that we should be wary of focussing to strongly on individual
attributions generally, since the foundation of Copyleft and Creative
Commons is community, cooperation and collaborative effort.

However, that is just my opinion and should be discussed within AktiviX.

Again, thanks for pointing this out.

/mp