cc-licenses - Re: DFSG

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: DFSG
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 13:45:16 -0700

Evan Prodromou wrote:
1. OSI approval requires a practicing lawyer to submit the license,
with commentary, to the OSI board. See here for details:

http://www.opensource.org/docs/certification_mark.php#approval

I'm pretty willing to help out with getting an OSI approval, but
I'm not willing enough to hire a lawyer to do that. B-) I also
think such a submission should probably come from Creative Commons
rather than some schmoe like me.

I suspect that getting approval would have to become a "priority" for us to bring in the lawyers who drafted the licenses. I have no crystal ball regarding that. I doubt it would hurt for people on this list to take a cut at the analysis suggested in steps 3 and 4 of the approval process.

2. There may be some fine points that can't be resolved without
amending the CC licenses. I realize that the 2.0 licenses were just
released, but would minor changes to licenses be possible? Say, a
2.1 version, with some clarifications for OSI/DFSG approval?

I suspect it would be a tough sell in the near future. Hopefully we won't have to version again for a very long time. Still, it would be good to have the changes, if any, done in advance. With 2.0 it seems like there was a slow accretion of desired changes, which eventually led to the beginning of the versioning process, which eventually led to versioning.

(IANAL and I don't really know anything about the legal side of CC, so take all of the above with a bock of salt.)

--
Mike Linksvayer