cc-licenses - Re: The Beeb and CC

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "J.B. Nicholson-Owens" <jbn AT forestfield.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: The Beeb and CC
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 20:47:28 -0500

Evan Prodromou wrote:
Does anyone know if the BBC will use a real, honest-to-goodness
Creative Commons license? Or will they be creating Yet Another Content
License?

My impression from what I've read so far about the BBC Creative Archive is that the BBC's works were paid for by UK TV owners. If this is so, the Creative Archive works would probably be licensed to those who paid for the works. Works available under Creative Commons licenses, on the other hand, are typically licensed to everyone. I would not be surprised to learn that there is some attempt to prevent those who didn't pay from being licensed to copy, build upon, publicly perform, or distribute the works (some kind of DRM or licensing clause).