cc-licenses - Re: The Beeb and CC

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: The Beeb and CC
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 17:06:00 -0400 (EDT)

James Grimmelmann said:

>>Wildly unsubstantiated conjecture follows:
>>
>>I believe Creative Commons was started by Lessig and Eldred
>>after they lost the lawsuit against the government challenging
>>the constitutionality of the Copyright Term Extension Act
>>and losing. (Eldred v. Ashcroft)
>
> CC was founded in 2001, and launched its licenses in December of 2002. The
> Supreme Court agreed to hear Eldred v. Ashcroft in February of 2002 and
> issued its decision in January of 2003. I don't think that this undermines
> your point.

The thing that sucks about the internet is
the second you're lazy, someone tells you. ;)
OK, so I did the research I should have done
on the last email.

CTEA was passed in Oct 1998.
The original complaint (Eldred v Ashcroft)
was filed on January 11, 1999.
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eldred_v._Ashcroft )
CC was founded 2001.
First cc-licenses issued dec 2002
Supreme court ruled on Eldred v Ashcroft on January 15, 2003,

So, the ruling against Eldred v. Ashcroft wasn't
the cause, but the CTEA seems to have been a prime motivator.

>>Since they failed to affect the law in the courts,
>>they took the approach of affecting behaviour through
>>Creative Commons and its new licensing model.
>
> They're both attempts at restoring balance to copyright.

Yes. Agreed. But "balanced copyright" will always result
in a Market Economy, not a Gift Economy, which supports
my point that CC is not so much interested in Gift Economy
licenses like GPL or BSD.

A gift economy is the "anti-copyright", in that instead
of securing rights to the author so they can make money,
it gives most of the rights back to the public.

The only rights a gift economy needs to retain are the
ones that allow it to survive along side market pressures
that would want to take the work private.
Which is my point here:

http://www.greglondon.com/dtgd/html/draftingthegiftdomain.html#8_3_Copyleft_and_Public_Domain_versus_Competition

This game-theory chart is specific to Gift Economies only.

Creative Commons has focused on the
NonCommercial licenses as an approach to
find a new balance point that allows
authors to make money, but doesn't
send the DRM or DMCA or CTEA cops after
the public.

It's a market economy license.

--
"Impatient Perl" => Perl geek in about a week.
http://www.greglondon.com/iperl/index.html