cc-licenses - Re: Gnu-Fdl or CC Attribution-ShareAlike?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Gnu-Fdl or CC Attribution-ShareAlike?
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 08:45:13 -0500

LDT> Yes, I think that licensing under both licenses (Gnu-Fdl & CC
LDT> By-Sa) is the best choice, so people can choose the license
LDT> they prefer.

Dual-licensing is fraught with hazards. If I create a work and release
it under two different copyleft licenses, you have to choose which
license to release your derivative work under. Neither the GFDL or the
by-sa lets you create a derivative work under any license except
itself.

http://www.wikitravel.org/en/article/Wikitravel:Dual_licensing

Wikis are pretty much derivative work factories. Dual licenses don't
really work well in a wiki environment.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>