cc-licenses - Re: Licensing ideas and online communication

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Licensing ideas and online communication
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 08:56:23 -0500

MO> First of all - does default copyright apply to ideas, or just
MO> to the form in which they have been expressed (i.e., does it
MO> apply to an idea expressed in the blog post, or the post
MO> itself)?

The post itself. Copyright applies to expression, not ideas.

If you want to protect the idea itself, you need to look into patent
law. I haven't looked at your blog, but unless you're Thomas Goddamned
Edison, I doubt you're pushing out several patentable blog posts a
day.

IANAL, by the way. If you want legal advice as to how to keep people
from using your scintillating blog ideas without paying, you should
practice what you preach and pony up some cash for a real lawyer.

He or she will probably tell you what I'll tell you now: why the hell
are you putting ideas on your blog that you don't want people to see,
share, or think?

MO> As far as I understand, anything that uses the idea would be
MO> considered a derivative of the post which contained it - how
MO> does default copyright handle it?

No. "Derivative" means derived from the content.

Wasteful, stingy requests like this are so tiresome. "How do I keep
people from thinking the brilliant thoughts I put on my blog?!"
Answer: fuck you and get over yourself.

What part of "Creative Commons" don't people understand, here?
"Creative" -- making creative works. "Commons" -- sharing in common
amongst the whole community. I personally don't see the part that
means, "Free legal advice for miserly information hoarders."

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://www.wikitravel.org/