cc-eyebeam - Re: [cc-eyebeam] more from Creative Commons

cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons-Eyebeam Forum 2003 November 12-19

  • From: donatomancini AT yahoo.com
  • To: cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-eyebeam] more from Creative Commons
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:14:44 -0500 (EST)

Hi, I've really only been invited as a guest for Digital Karma (with
colleagues Jeremy Turner and Flick Harrison), but this discussion brings to
mind some issues that have been important to me, so I want to lend a few
thoughts.

Curator Christina Ritchie made a good point. In an interview with sculptor
James Carl she said she’s interested in work that “…positions itself as a
service rather than a thing, with the aim, in general, of identifying an
aesthetic dimension of ‘normal’ experience.”
Moving in the direction of such an art is necessarily to move away from a
type of work that is either ownable or copyrightable, as the work, like
curation, becomes merely a vessel, a vehicle for the transference of ideas.
Artist as middleman. Or to state it differently, I think what Ritchie is
imagining is an art that situates itself as say the plumbing (the piping)
rather than the content (the water). But in the realm of ideas, the
“plumbing” is often going to be some kind of ineffable, immaterial activity
that it can be not only difficult to hold on to (own), but even to locate at
all. So, to change the metaphor again – I’m still searching for the right one
– perhaps this art can/does relate to a condition like Time, in that Time
shuttles all our activities, experiences, lives etc, but which in itself can
barely be proven to exist, except by analogy to its effects.

Do we know of very much work that achieves this?

Donato