cc-eyebeam - Re: [cc-eyebeam] more from Creative Commons

cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons-Eyebeam Forum 2003 November 12-19

  • From: Joseph Pietro Riolo <riolo AT voicenet.com>
  • To: cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [cc-eyebeam] more from Creative Commons
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 09:50:19 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 Donato <donatomancini AT yahoo.com wrote>:

> Moving in the direction of such an art is necessarily to move away from
> a type of work that is either ownable or copyrightable, as the work, like
> curation, becomes merely a vessel, a vehicle for the transference of ideas.
> Artist as middleman.

This will require a change in concept of authorship. When you
demolish the concept of ownership (and consequently,
copyrightability), you also inevitably demolish the concept of
authorship. This will not sit well with almost all authors
and artists.

Basically, what you are saying is that there is no such thing
or service called "author" or "artist". All we have is a
contributor (or adder), collaborator, carrier, messenger,
adaptor, manipulator, and so on but nothing like author,
artist, or originator.

> Or to state it differently, I think what Ritchie is imagining is
> an art that situates itself as say the plumbing (the piping)
> rather than the content (the water). But in the realm of ideas,
> the "plumbing" is often going to be some kind of ineffable,
> immaterial activity that it can be not only difficult to hold
> on to (own), but even to locate at all. So, to change the
> metaphor again - I'm still searching for the right one -
> perhaps this art can/does relate to a condition like Time,
> in that Time shuttles all our activities, experiences, lives
> etc, but which in itself can barely be proven to exist, except
> by analogy to its effects.

I think that the best word to describe this is "semiosis".
Generally, it means the communicative process where the
signs (by "sign", I mean almost anything like an image,
a word, a body language, a sound, etc.) are continuous,
from one sign to next sign. However, you need both pipe
and water (medium and content such as paper and words or
stone and images) to do the job of semiosis.

> Do we know of very much work that achieves this?

It is happening all the times. We see the works every day.
But, our legal system (at least in the U.S.) do not formally
recognize them, except for the works involving or based on
the public domain works (look at all the activities based
on Biblical stories or Shakespeare's works).

Joseph Pietro Riolo
<riolo AT voicenet.com>

Public domain notice: I put all of my expressions in this
post in the public domain.