cc-eyebeam - [cc-eyebeam] Re: Hola Amigos

cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons-Eyebeam Forum 2003 November 12-19

  • From: blogdiva AT culturekitchen.com
  • To: cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-eyebeam] Re: Hola Amigos
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:00:02 -0500 (EST)

hi marek,

>I agree that the practise of netart should
disappear.

Ahh ... hmmm ... never said that and never
intended to imply that. No, it is not the
practice of the art that I find confounding.
It is the creation of individual artists and
art-community sites that need to change
because they are outdated. If you want to be
rhizomatic, nodal, open, mimetic, democratic,
copyleft, whatever, use the technology to
make it so.

It's as simple as learning why CSS matters
vis-a-vis Flash. Why syndication should not
be taken lightly and hence, why a Creative
Commons license makes even more sense
within that context.

>Blogs of course are about news/gossip.

This statement is proof of the bad rap blogs
have within the art community and why, no
matter what good intentions a net artist has
about distributing creativity it does not
mean a thing if, again, you do not use the
technology that is our there to make it so.

In other words, "distributed creativity" as a
theme is a nice. As a practice it becomes
powerful.

It will not just take rethinking what
creativity is or what the social significance
of net art is. Really, it is something as
simple as what is a website, what are you
using it for and, if you dig deeper, what is
the political and social significance of the
way you build it. It's not just the content
that matters. The website is what matters
here because it is the medium, not the web.
But Apartment and Shredder be damned, we
already knew that.

Best,
Liza