cc-eyebeam - [cc-eyebeam] Re: Hola Amigos

cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons-Eyebeam Forum 2003 November 12-19

  • From: marek_walczak AT yahoo.com
  • To: cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-eyebeam] Re: Hola Amigos
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 09:34:37 -0500 (EST)

Very fond of a different view of cultural product, one where artists create
artifacts to be used in yearly rituals, at the end of which the pieces would
be discarded and allowed to rot in the forest.

I agree that the practise of netart should disappear. Of course Wonderwalker
is a failure when compared to a blog - it has none of the hooks, it just
creates a map of icons of people's favorites. Today I noticed that the Google
toolbar now links directly to blogs.. Of course we were paid $3000 for the
commission, which perhaps is slightly less than the creators of Movable Type
and Google? I suspect that's 99% of the problem.

In Turns we invited people to comment on the works of others, and put in
links to subjects mentioned, or at least intended to. Too many ways to be
creative, too little time!

In Timemaker (still bust after a year, to be fixed shortly) we didn't have a
global map like in Apartment (the city of people's apartments). That seemed
too top-down. Instead you create a picture of time, then email your link to
others, they can then see your effort and create their map near to yours, if
they want. That way its a dispersed network of relationships based on email.
Next year we will see if that works!

Blogs of course are about news/gossip. Now I'm mostly interested in linking
networks with physical space, the technology is just getting ready for that.
Haven't yet seen a blog tied to a physical interactive artwork, o no, another
way to be creative!

Realistically though, netart is just a seasonal condition to be discarded in
the forest of technological change. (gosh)