cc-europe - Re: [CC-Europe] EDRI

  • From: Gisle Hannemyr <gisle AT ifi.uio.no>
  • To: cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [CC-Europe] EDRI
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 11:17:33 +0200

On 12.04.2012 14:44, Veni Markovski wrote:
> However, it made me understand even better that a single case in Russia has
> not been made public enough. Following is a an excerpt from an email
> exchange on the Isoc chapters' list from January 2011:
> https://elists.isoc.org/pipermail/chapter-delegates/2011-January/007371.html
>
> As you see, web sites are being taken down (and I am not arguing for or
> against the content of the mentioned in the above quoted site), based on
> international document.

There is indeed a lot of Internet censorship at various locations
around the world. For a pretty well-researched overview of the
Internet censorship, surveillance, and filtering situation around
the world, see the reports put out by the OpenNet Initiative:
http://opennet.net/

However, most of the censorship reported by OpneNet does *not* harm
the financial interests of wealthy Silicon Valley corporations.
Because these corporations have vast amounts of money to spend on
spin-doctors, and is also very adept in covertly lobbing for their
own financial interests, most people never notice or care about
*real* Internet censorship. Instead, they are quite happy to take
to the streets wearing Guy Fawkes-masks and protest *anything*
the spin-doctors steers them in the direction of.

At least, it seems to this observer that the advocacy against Internet
governance carried out by entities such as Wikipedia, EFF, and the
Creative Commons (to name just a few examples) has very little
do to with Internet censorship, but is quite obviously aligned with
the financial interests of certain Silicon Valley corporations.
"Don't follow leaders // Watch the parkin' meters" - Bob Dylan