cc-europe - Re: [CC-Europe] EDRI

  • From: John Hendrik Weitzmann <jhweitzmann AT mx.uni-saarland.de>
  • To: cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [CC-Europe] EDRI
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 22:43:36 +0200

Hi everyone

We think Mike's post communicates the relevance to CC well.

I disagree.

I also had some doubts at first about the relevance of PIPA/SOPA for CC, but after reading some of the worst case scenarios (e.g. allegations sufficient enough to enact privately "controlled" shut-down of hosting sites) it appears to me that sites hosting a lot of CC content might run higher risks than others under such legislation, especially because of the CCPL's no warranties structure and the publicity/personality/moral rights being excluded.

So, alright, Mike could have been more explicit on the possible effects, but IMHO he's right after all.

Regarding the actual topic:

CC DE always tries to stay out of the fierce type of advocacy battles. Each team member has his/her own other involvement in activist organisations for that and we try to keep CC DE on neutral grounds and to not use CC's credibility for levering controversial points. CC is a tool provider in my view, a kind of citizen service.

my 2c
John