cc-europe - Re: [Cc-europe] cc0 waiver

  • From: John Hendrik Weitzmann <jhweitzmann AT mx.uni-saarland.de>
  • To: cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-europe] cc0 waiver
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 00:07:37 +0200

well well, I guess we will deal with this topic also if the other
workshop proposal 'wins' ;-) maybe we should not get into workshop
campaigning while discussing real problems.
Anyway, a discussion in autumn might even be a bit late for this. Is it
on the agenda for the conference in June?

Getting to the point:

The only possible solution under monistic systems with strong moral
rights would probably be an assertion to never claim and enforce any
unwaivable right in the work.

Unfortunately courts won't be readily willing to uphold such an
auxilliary construction designed to circumvene non-dispositive law. But
it would be worth a try. The question is, can CC0 as a construct live
with "worth a try (but might turn out not to work)"? I'm not so sure.

Greetz from Berlin,
John