cc-education - Re: [cc-education] Quick draft

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: David Palmer <davidpalmer AT westnet.com.au>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Laura Lynch <llynch AT stanford.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] Quick draft
  • Date: 08 Feb 2004 21:12:08 +0800

On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 01:02, David Wiley wrote:
> Hello all. There have only been a handful of responses to the last
> email. I hope people won't feel offended or that I'm jumping the gun by
> offering draft language with so few responses, but we are working on a
> schedule.

There have been a number of previous responses, and I suppose that a
number of people are still waiting, as I am for the emergence or not of
a lawyer, as specified here:-

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-education/2003-December/000142.html

This was my initial recommendation, here:-

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-education/2003-December/000154.html

But I think I have fallen into a common trap, in that I have assumed the
confines of socially accepted paradigms, with regard to the terminology
'formal educational institution.'

I think we need to remove any reference to this definitive. the
definition of what is or is not a 'formal educational institution' is
rapidly evolving, and the traditional concept, as far as I am concerned,
is not necessarily associated with education, but rather with
stultification.
Not all, of course, I have been involved with some extremely stimulating
campus environments, but isn't it interesting, when involved in that
type of context, that we do not mentally associate it with the
terminology, 'formal institution.'

The new definitions of institution encompass the exchange mediums of the
internet, such as collaborative workshop/project environments, and the
self-imposed private researches of the single scholar, who only shines
in an environment where sociological judgement factors and the like are
not apparent. The student creates/decides upon his/her own learning
situation, as far as circumstances allow, and this factor too is
conducive to an harmonious working environment.

I believe that the terminology 'formal institution' is obsolete for our
purposes, and should be treated as such.
It simply doesn't apply to the broad spectrum market requirement that we
are attempting to cater to.
As to be expected I suppose, with my posting of the GPL standard, I find
myself in agreement with Sanfords' viewpoint.

With the allowance extended to make money off the content for commercial
concerns, there is no deprivation imposed on those that are capable of
forming an open source interactive learning situation commonly found in
other environments, such as the open source software movement. It is
within these environments that true innovation will be achieved, as it
already is. The present grasping corporate greed strategy is testament
enough to the quality being introduced within the open source software
industry.
Regards,

David.

--
'The mindset that creates the problem, is not the one that is capable of
solving it.' Albert Einstein.