cc-education - Re: [cc-education] Quick draft

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: David Wiley <dw2 AT opencontent.org>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] Quick draft
  • Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 12:12:40 -0700

Heather Ford wrote:

I really like your wording, David - I think that giving the choice to the users as to what they think of when they wish to dedicate works is the best plan here - especially since we can't really agree here and since we can revisit the license again after we have seen how people are using the license.

Thanks. Let's see where the rest of the discussion goes.

On another point, is there the option of just stating that you can make use of materials as long as they are used within the context of education i.e. that education is the primary purpose of the communication - rather than assigning the right to particular people within the institution?

Of course, the final language is a matter for lawyers. In the draft I am trying to separate education use (addressed in the NC learning language) from the institution question (addressed in the options at the end). I would love to hear suggestions you have on this approach conceptually, realizing that lawyers will do the specific language at the end of the day.

I attempted the separation two ways. In the NC clause - "Make only noncommercial uses of your work which primarily and purposively facilitate learning". I purposefully avoided education in favor of learning facilitation, since "education" can carry the baggage of formal institutions with it.

As for the insitution question, since in one case we don't care about insitutional affiliation I couldn't figure another way to frame the question than around people. I was intending to get around specific gotchas by including "others" twice in the language - "Allow teachers, students, *and others* directly associated with a formal educational institution, as well as mentors, tutors, self-learners, *and others* who may not be directly associated with a formal educational institution, to make permitted uses of your work".

Thanks for your feedback. Would love to hear more from you and others -