cc-education - Re: [cc-education] Quick draft

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: David Wiley <dw2 AT opencontent.org>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] Quick draft
  • Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 11:21:26 -0700

Stephen Downes wrote:

Hiya Folks,

Not to be a broken record, but I reiterate my opposition to a license - especially one under the Creative Commons banner - that restricts the use of materials to institutions, particularly given that one must be of certain means to attend such institutions and hence to benefit from the license. It's kind of like a 'Creative Commons for the rich'.

I moreover restate the objection on the ground that the expectation has been created that when you see a Creative Commons license, that you have the permission, within broad parameters, to use the material, no matter who you are, has been eroded. The introduction of an institution-specific (or even an education-specific) license reintroduces the sort of ambiguity that before Creative Commons required the use of a lawyer to sort out.

-- Stephen Downes

Would you approve of the draft if the licensor's option to choose:

<CHOICE>

Do you want to:

Allow teachers, students, and others directly associated with a formal
educational institution, as well as mentors, tutors, self-learners, and
others who may not be directly associated with a formal educational
institution, to make permitted uses of your work?

- Yes

- No, I want to restrict use of my work to only teachers, students,
and others directly associated with a formal educational institution.

</CHOICE>

were removed and replaced with language like "You explicitly allow teachers, students, and others directly associated with a formal
educational institution, as well as mentors, tutors, self-learners, and
others who may not be directly associated with a formal educational
institution, to make permitted uses of your work as described above"?

Or is the requirement that uses primarily facilitate learning too restricting in your mind ("or even an education-specific") as well?