bluesky - Re: how to do censorship resistance (Re: Grapevine Technical Overview)

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: Ted Anderson <TedAnderson AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: how to do censorship resistance (Re: Grapevine Technical Overview)
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 21:28:10 -0400

Bram Cohen wrote:

That's cute, but a bit of a non-issue I think, since a factor of 2 doesn't
change the asymptotic any.

It occurs to me that if you generalize from 6-space to n-space, and
simplify so that each peer is at position 0 or 1 instead of a floating
point, then you wind up with something very similar to kademlia's xor
metric.

Each peer has an id which is 160 bits. The distance between peer A and B
is the number of 1 bits in the xor of A and B's ids.

You can read about kademlia at http://kademlia.scs.cs.nyu.edu/ It's metric
differs from the one I just gave in that it's a tree instead of a mesh.

This Kademlia sounds very much like the boolean n-cube routing scheme I've been touting for a while now. I sent a description of it to one of the Freenet lists around 10/1999, at the paragraph starting "The core of my solution..." in [1]. Kademlia sounds like good stuff and David Mazières has been involved in several interesting projects.

Ted Anderson
(formerly, ota AT transarc.com)

[1] http://www.transarc.ibm.com/~ota/datadist-19991026.txt