bluesky - Re: how to do censorship resistance (Re: Grapevine Technical Overview)

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: Bram Cohen <bram AT bitconjurer.org>
  • To: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: how to do censorship resistance (Re: Grapevine Technical Overview)
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 21:58:19 -0700 (PDT)

Ted Anderson wrote:

> This Kademlia sounds very much like the boolean n-cube routing scheme
> I've been touting for a while now. I sent a description of it to one of
> the Freenet lists around 10/1999, at the paragraph starting "The core of
> my solution..." in [1]. Kademlia sounds like good stuff and David
> Mazières has been involved in several interesting projects.

Yep, that's the exact same distance function as kademlia uses. That
distincae function, by the way, has been reinvented by several people.

I find it odd that viewing the xor as a number is intuitive to everyone
else while adding up the number of 1s in it is intuitive to me. Maybe
everyone else is optimizing for analyzability while I'm optimizing for
simplicity and robustness, trying to get away from a heirarchical
structure.

-Bram