bluesky - Re: how to do censorship resistance (Re: Grapevine Technical Overview)

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: Bram Cohen <bram AT bitconjurer.org>
  • To: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: how to do censorship resistance (Re: Grapevine Technical Overview)
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 17:37:44 -0700 (PDT)

I should probably mention a technical point about Grapevine's routing - it
involves distance in 6-space, with each node getting a random point. This
will tend to make some nodes get a lot more traffic than others just
because they're in the center of the space, while others are on the edge.

You can fix this problem by making the space toroidal, which means the top
and bottom are close to each other. I sent in a patch to do this for
freenet, even though it's just one-dimensional. I don't know if that patch
was ever applied though.

-Bram