bluesky - Re: Grapevine Technical Overview

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: "Andrei Serjantov" <aas23 AT cam.ac.uk>
  • To: bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Grapevine Technical Overview
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 19:16:35 -0400

Hi,

> I've been thinking about the design of anonymous/censorship-resistant file
> storage systems (like grapevine) and it seems to me that there is a
> problem with this kind of plausible deniability.

I am slightly surprised the FreeHaven has not yet been mentioned in this
discussion -- it is a good design which tackles some of the problems you
have been talking above here. Perhaps everyone is too familiar with it
already. However, it moves the shares (parts of the files) around which
makes them inefficient to locate.

I also recently wrote a paper entitled "Anonymixing Censorship Resistant
Systems" which talks about these problems. It is a design of a
(surprise!) anonymous censorship resistant system which, again, tackles
some of the anonymity and censorship resistance problems you have been
discussing here.
It uses two techniques: storing pointers to (parts of) files on different
machines from the files themselves, stores encrypted (parts of) the files
and uses an anonymity system to hide correspondence between the pointers
and the files. For those who do not want to read the whole paper the
diagrams should give a basic overview of what the solution is. Here is the
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~aas23/Anon_p2p2.ps

A word of warning: I do not tackle acountability searching and other
important problems, but if you want anonymity *and* censorship resistance,
I do not know how to do better yet!

Thanks,

Andrei