baslinux - Re: [BL] An unusual project . .

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT SDF.ORG>
  • To: Philip Rhoades <phil AT pricom.com.au>
  • Cc: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] An unusual project . .
  • Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2016 13:38:49 +0000 (UTC)

sindi,

On 2016-10-09 03:36, sindi keesan wrote:

Try searching on baslinux, my name (keesan) compile and kernel.

I am not sure what you mean - the https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux archives are not searchable. I had a look at http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl but that didn't help much . .

At the baslinux ibiblio site is a link to help, which besides letting you sign up for the mail list has a Searching the Archive. Fill in the terms you are after where it says xxx. This does a google search for you.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/baslinux/baslin.htm

Kernels compile rather slowly on a 486.

Isn't it possible to cross-compile on my big Fedora 25 workstation?

Yes, I was just commenting that I used to compile on a 486.

My first BL computer had 12MB
RAM (around 1999). We were big on modem support then. I used a 486
laptop as a terminal (running programs on a speedy Pentium II,
displaying on the 486 in VGA resolution).

About that time I had set up a small insurance company running a lot of floppy-booted Linux PCs that would get X etc from a server - they worked quite well as terminals / X servers - I should work out how I did that again . . after that exercise we went to commercial thin clients running X.

Stephen explained how to do this with BL. Also how to share a modem connection.

OK!

BTW, Pricom used to produce a DOS-based Scientific / Multilingual WP (including Cyrillic character sets) - which worked in "character graphics" mode (8*16 pixels) on EGA and VGA screens. I still have all the code and it works in dosemu etc from memory - I can show you some screen captures if you like.

I once designed a lambda for my 9-pin printer. I think also something for the screen. No need for screen captures.

I wonder if anyone else is still reading this mail list.

Regards,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades