baslinux - Re: [BL] An unusual project . .

  • From: Philip Rhoades <phil AT pricom.com.au>
  • To: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.org>
  • Cc: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] An unusual project . .
  • Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2016 15:16:07 +1100

sindi,

On 2016-10-09 03:36, sindi keesan wrote:
You can also compile your own optimized kernel 2.2.26 which includes
those modules and omits unused ones. Or put together your own floppy
version of BL to run directly on your hardware. I managed both and
posted about it.

Could you give me the link?

Try searching on my baslinux, my name (keesan) compile and kernel.

I am not sure what you mean - the https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux archives are not searchable. I had a look at http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl but that didn't help much . .

I also compiled a lot of programs. You will need the kernel source
code (large) for 2.2.26 and a few other files to compile with. Edit
the standard config file (or borrow Stephen's and modify it).

Kernels compile rather slowly on a 486.

Isn't it possible to cross-compile on my big Fedora 25 workstation?

My first BL computer had 12MB
RAM (around 1999). We were big on modem support then. I used a 486
laptop as a terminal (running programs on a speedy Pentium II,
displaying on the 486 in VGA resolution).

About that time I had set up a small insurance company running a lot of floppy-booted Linux PCs that would get X etc from a server - they worked quite well as terminals / X servers - I should work out how I did that again . . after that exercise we went to commercial thin clients running X.

For the custom BL, I think what I did was mount -o loop and replace
the kernel and some of the modules.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl (for a list of what is there blfiles.htm).

Try bl3fbfd.zip for a 2-floppy BL3 with framebuffer support.

OK, I will have a look.

There is no need to include all of previous posts when you reply -
ibiblio keeps them all.

OK!

BTW, Pricom used to produce a DOS-based Scientific / Multilingual WP (including Cyrillic character sets) - which worked in "character graphics" mode (8*16 pixels) on EGA and VGA screens. I still have all the code and it works in dosemu etc from memory - I can show you some screen captures if you like.

Regards,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades