baslinux - [BL] An an unusual project . .

  • From: Philip Rhoades <phil AT pricom.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] An an unusual project . .
  • Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2016 02:07:19 +1100

People,

I have spent DAYS checking out many 1, 2 and 3 FD Linuxes but I haven't found ONE that will do everything I want . . I did however find BL which is quite nice and has a functioning mailing list! As an exercise, I want to create a VM image from a SCSI drive in an old Red Hat (NOT Enterprise) v5.2 Linux 486 machine (circa 1999) with:

- an ISA Adaptec 1542 SCSI controller attached to a Seagate 2GB drive with 6 partitions

- an ISA ne2000 network card

- a 1.44MB FD

So, to create the image of the 2GB SCSI drive that is in the 486, I need to boot the 486 on one or more floppy disks and dd the /dev/sda drive over SSH to a file on my big Fedora 25 x86_64 workstation. The problems are that I haven't been able to find a Floppy linux that has everything I need: dd, ssh and built-in recognition for the Adaptec controller and the NE2000 card . .

It would have been easier if I had had a PCI Adaptec SCSI controller that I could put in a newer machine with the old drive and then just do the dd locally but I don't really want to have to buy one that I would probably never use again . .

Are there people here who could me get all the bits going on BL?

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades