baslinux - [BL] installing BL via network

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT SDF.ORG>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] installing BL via network
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 19:54:19 +0000 (UTC)

HP Omnibook 5500CT, 133MHz, upped to 64MB RAM and 3GB hard drive (from a 166MHz that failed - very strange memory) and 3GB

I used PQMagic to format the hard drive (fat32, ext2, ext2 - 3GB total).
sys c:. Made it active with fdisk in BL3.

I booted to BL3 floppy (both disks worked but there was an error 0x10 booting the first one)

I can then
mount /dev/fd0 (/etc/fstab mounts it to /fd)

I edited /etc/fstab to add a line similar to the one for fd substituting
/dev/hda1 for /dev/fd0 and /hd for /fd and can
mount /dev/hda1 (to /hd)

(For some reason mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /hd did not work before that).

I then got online with a cisco aironet 340 (no encryption) having edited the pcmcia config file.

cd /etc/pcmcia

Using e3pi (commands similar to pico) I added the lines in device section

device "airo_cs"
class "network" module "misc/8390", "airo", "airo_cs"

I then edited

card "Network Card"
function "network_adaptor"

I changed pcnet_cs to airo_cs

To start pcmcia services (from /etc/pcmcia)

start

Then

udhcpc -q (or just dhcp)

which assigned IP number and default gw and I am online.
I could also have used pcnet_cs wired card (simpler).

I can now run mini_httpd or pure_fttpd (see archives) on another linux computer and copy a working version of BL3 or BL2 to a partition. Or download and install BL3 loop.

The computer has nice sound and is going to be an internet radio. I posted at http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl a new set of scripts to listen to about 38 classical radio stations with mplayer. I compiled and posted an mplayer for P54C (early pentium) that worked on a 120MHz computer.

Scripts are radio2014.tgz and you need to add mplayer (to hard drive).

Sindi Keesan