baslinux - [BL] Thinkpad 600E OSS sound

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Thinkpad 600E OSS sound
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 18:33:57 +0000 (UTC)

The solution was assembled from various other suggestions.
I did NOT need to turn off acpi or apm (BL does not support it).

OSS is actually much easier than ALSA (which requires editing
at least two files by adding many lines to them, turning off isapnp which we do not have, and turning off acpi which we do not have).
Only took me two years. Win98 and Puppy sound still do not work.

This laptop is supposed to have the same sound chip as TP 770X,
but the latter works as sb (with a small complaint by the driver). Odd. Perhaps IBM changed chips midstream.

Card is ISA CS4237B, though lspci (and Puppy Linux and Win98) think it is cs46xx or CS4236. The cs46xx driver says TP600E sound is 'unsupported'.

1. Cold boot while holding F1 for setup, Config, turn OFF quick boot.
Several sites say to do this. (I did not test by turning it back on.
I had turned it off because a broken Trackpad mouse was preventing boot, which quick boot fixed for a while, and had to learn to manually edit a hex file with Ctrl-D, changing the value in 20h from 02 which should have been 01 to 00, to disable mouse first, which also took two years).

2. Make script tp600-on on the path (/usr/local/bin, /sbin....)
insmod soundcore
insmod sound
insmod uart401
insmod ad1848
insmod cs4323 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9

[last two may only be needed for midi ports, did not test]

chmod +x tp600-on

You can add /usr/local/bin/tp600-on to /etc/rc.d/rc.S to load the
modules at startup.

3. Using aumix, raise the volume from faint to acceptable.
I turned up master, pcm and speakers to maximum.
Or start timidity at 400%, or * to increase volume of mplayer.
Or powered speakers.

Tested working on wav files (sox, mplayer), mp3 (mpg123 and mplayer), ogg (mplayer), midi (timidity). Mplayer crashes online, as usual with older laptops (though a 100MHz Toshiba worked with it, surprisingly). Use wget and mpg123 together to listen to streaming audio.

Playmidi cannot find /dev/sequencer. I don't care since timidity
works acceptably even at 100MHz.

This is a different sound chip from what works on a Winbook XLi with BL but not Puppy (ES1868, I think).