baslinux - Re: [BL] Lilo on boot CD?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Lilo on boot CD?
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 19:11:54 +0000 (UTC)

This Thinkpad says it will boot from PCMCIA - can I install lilo (or DOS) to a CF card in an adaptor? It must have PCMCIA drivers built into BIOS.
/dev/hde? Nothing but time to lose trying this on our 4MB CF card. No USB boot or I could use USB floppy drive. 266MHz 1999. Lovely screen and keyboard and sound.

Sindi Keesan

Still hoping to create my own boot CD (with lilo on it).

I formatted a pcmcia (ide-cs) hard drive FAT32 and sys'ed it, also a CF card in a PCMCIA adaptor (both in a Win98 laptop rather than finding a DOS driver), and neither one booted in two Thinkpads (560X and 770E) which claim to do PCMCIA boot in SETUP. The 770E boots only from Ultimate Boot CD so far (and you need to hit Enter as soon as it asks whether to Boot or it will get stuck) - not even a Win98 boot CD that works elsewhere. In BIOS Setup boot order cannot be changed (it just beeps if you try) which might be related to why it will not boot from hard disk (floppy drive controller is bad, won't even read floppies), but pulling the clock battery to reset it to defaults is not a good idea since someone said the default does not include boot from CD.

The sound went bad yesterday, but otherwise this 266MHz 770E (booted from UBCD) is still quite useful. They don't build them like this any more - even has a volume dial. It accepts only 220MB RAM (it needs a working main battery to allow a BIOS upgrade to take more) which limits what you can run on it. BL2 is perfect. Puppy Linux crawls.

The 560X (233MHz) boots to lilo floppy disk in only a few seconds and is also perfect for BL. Nice internet radio. (Also won't boot from the hard disk - this seems to be a problem that develops in 233-266MHz Thinkpads).
The CD-ROM drive is PCMCIA and not bootable.

I highly recommend Thinkpads for BL, at least 233-550MHz.

  • Re: [BL] Lilo on boot CD?, baslinux, 12/08/2010