baslinux - [BL] Voicemail with sox/play and Opera/Seamonkey mail: was Re: mplayer individual codecs

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Voicemail with sox/play and Opera/Seamonkey mail: was Re: mplayer individual codecs
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 18:44:39 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

I need msgsm32.acm to play downloaded voicemail msg????.WAV files.
Mplayer works with this codec but no need for it.

sox 'play' (version 13 2007, glibc 2.1.3, probably posted at my site) plays this format without any added codecs. Online or offline.
I don't have older versions on this computer to test with.

At the voicemail site, using Opera 9.63, if I click on Download I get a dialog box in which I can choose what to do with the downloaded file - save it or open it. I specify to open it with /usr/local/bin/play but then I cannot tell Opera to always use this program - the box will not accept a check.

I found the solution at ghacks.com (also someone mentioned this as a bug in Opera 10). Preferences, Advanced, Download, uncheck Hide File Types, find audio/x-wav, double click it, then change the next dialog box from Open with Opera to Open with Other Application > /usr/local/bin/play.

Now if I click on Download I get a dialog box asking if I want to Open it (with play) or Save.

Preferences, Downloads, click on audio/x-wav, File Handlers, uncheck Ask before starting program, to play without asking to Open or Save.

I click on 'view' which in theory should play the file without asking me to download it, after setting Preferences, Programs, audio/x-wav to be opened with /usr/local/bin/play, but nothing happens at the voicemail site. I can play a sample .wav file at another site with 'play'.

This is voxalot voicemail, which tells you the caller's phone and attaches the wav file. Much better than Google Voice which provides an unintelligible text transcription. Set voxalot to 19 sec so it answers before Google Voice (3.5 rings instead of 4 rings).

--------

Opera and Seamonkey outgoing mail programs work with fastmail.fm only if you pay for an account to use the stmp server. I signed up at mail.ru (it helps to read Russian) and smtp.mail.ru works fine. Email address has to be your mail.ru address but if you don't want to get replies there use something else for reply-to address. Port 25 does not work with AT&T (they block it, and their webmail appears not to work securely) but ports 465 or 587 work, with TLS security. This only took me all day to get working. msmtp won't work with the same settings with fastmail or mail.ru (it does work with a friend's earthlink outgoing server). It used to work with dialinfree and port 25.