baslinux - Re: [BL] Messed up SW90 library upgrade, was Re: Seamonkey 1.1.19

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Messed up SW90 library upgrade, was Re: Seamonkey 1.1.19
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 20:24:11 +0000 (UTC)

I have messed up BL2 to the point where it won't let me log in, and if I chroot to it from BL3 (to try to undo changes) X crashes but I can at least look at the files.

Xvesa crashes. SVGA X works and probably always did on this DELL computer. Nvidia normally works with Xvesa but the DELL is quirky.
The LCD monitor may be part of the problem.

'No shadow password for root on tty1'.

At one point my password file with a real password disappeared.
It would not even let me reboot after several failed logins. 'Go away'.

I then copied over a backup passwd file from the same computer (which required a password). One from another computer fixed the problem. Used to need a password now I hit Enter again.

The one that works has a long string of characters for root, the one that
said 'no shadow password' had x:0:0 - what does this do or mean?
The actual password that works now is blank (Enter key).

Thanks for the pointer to Seamonkey 1.19, Steven.