baslinux - [BL] GTK2 in BL2 was Re: updating to latest Xorg

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] GTK2 in BL2 was Re: updating to latest Xorg
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 20:28:49 +0000 (UTC)

Attempting to install GTK2 in BL2 with glibc 2.3.6 (SW11).
Got all but one required piece.

I found two precompiled softphones. (After trying to compile pjsip which did not seem to compile its libraries. CLI).

sjphone works with BL2 if I upgrade libX11 to Xfree86 4.3 (SW81 is 4.2)
It requires only basic X libraries, nothing fancy. (It also works
with Mac OS 10.4 and XP and in theory with Pocketpc but no sound).

zoiper works better (you can dial free 6-digit SIP numbers directly) but it requires a bunch of libraries (GLIBC 2.3.4 or later) from elflibs, gtk2, and pango, plus libcairo and libatk and libasound (from separate packages cairo) and both libexpat.so.0 (in SW11 elflibs) and so.1.

I found code for expat 2.0.1 and it compiled in 20 seconds with gcc 2.95.3 and glibc 2.2.5 (SW81) to libexpat.so.1.5.2 which symlinks to so.1.

gtk2 so library is 3MB.
gtk1 1.2 MB.

Zoiper itself, precompiled, is 13MB, and can be downloaded from the web
as 5MB of zoiper215-linux.tar.gz. The company's site lists a bunch of
versions for various recent linuxes, which might be a newer version or
Zoiper Communicator (uses twice the resources). Zoiper worked perfectly for me in Puppy Linux and Mac OS 10.

After adding all the listed missing libraries, zoiper tells me:
libstdc++.so.6 version CXXABI_1.3.1 not found.
I was so close ;=(

I have SW11 libstdc++.so.6.0.3 which requires GLIBC 2.3.4.

One site suggested I need gcc 4 to compile with, and someone else said to use libstdc++.so.6.0.5 instead of 6.0.3.

Not at linuxpackages.net. Precompiled versions probably need a later glibc. Can I upgrade glibc without changing to 2.6 kernel?

I can't find the source code. Steven, can you?

Have not tried any other gtk2 programs yet. Browsers require even more libraries. Has anyone used gtk2 with BL2?

Sindi Keesan