baslinux - Re: [BL] Winbook XLi freezes in X

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Winbook XLi freezes in X
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 00:26:48 +0000 (UTC)

My Thinkpad 770e also has Trident Cyber9397DVD video chip.
It works just fine in Xvesa and Xfbdev. I tried it with the SVGA X server, it detected the chip and things appeared to be okay but it gives me a blank screen from which I can exit. No freezes, crashes, or input problems.

So the chip is not a problem but the Winbook itself uses memory differently from how BL2 with X from Slackware 7 (some parts of it updated to Slackware 11) expects, ditto for DSL. I have not tried kernel 2.2.

I was hoping to determine whether Seamonkey 1.18 will work in 256 colors so I can set up a laptop with 48MB for online use for a student. It has about 72MB memory but like some early Compaqs, the screen does only 8-bit color. Anyone know about Seamonkey/Firefox and color depth? Can't test with Xvesa/Xfbdev which don't display in 256 colors (at least not in the correct colors).

Sindi Keesan