baslinux - Re: [BL] Winbook XLi freezes in X

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Winbook XLi freezes in X
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 19:44:17 +0000 (UTC)

X freeze bugs - involves the GPU (graphical processor) and is due to code which was not tested on all hardware, often apparently random, or triggered by certain events (such as starting SVGA X server or svgalib). Distinct from input bugs, which let the screen continue to update but you cannot access it - one time when I got as far as starting to download a website I could see the pink stuff go by in the little square at bottom right of icewm. The situation can be complicated by having two or more types of bugs. (Such as my problem of Backspace causing a VT to freeze but not the whole computer to freeze).

X freeze can often be triggered by switching VTs or desktops.
The code tries to access the wrong register for particular hardware.

Suggestion is to ssh to the computer to test if it is an input bug and see if you can kill X using the client's keyboard. (Via serial, parallel, or network cable - see BL archives about using BL as a serial terminal. Telnet also works).

I went into BL2 on a Thinkpad on the same local network and loaded network drivers. (Use a crossover cable, two straight cables and a hub, switch or router). Set one with ifconfig eth0 to 192.168.1.1 and the other to 192.168.1.2. dbclient root AT 192.168.1.1 from the Thinkpad to the Winbook.

I could run programs there. Typed xinit on the Winbook and saw little
green lines go by in the box at lower right for a while, suggesting that this is not a freeze but an input bug.

From the Thinkpad I could run links2 in console mode on the Winbook.
(Did not try to use it as an X server). But when I typed something and hit Backspace to correct a typo, that terminal froze. I cannot access it again from another terminal here.

Two (or more) bugs in BL2 - I lose input ability in X immediately after starting SVGA server or shortly after starting Xvesa or Xfbdev, and a console also sometimes freezes (even without X loaded, from terminal on the same Winbook or over a network with Thinkpad as terminal.

There is little point in using a pair of laptops like this.

Some day I will get BL2 working with updated kernel, modules, X and glibc.
Maybe the most recent 2.4 kernel would even work. 2.4.37.9 Feb 1 2010.