baslinux - Re: [BL] Winbook XLi freezes in X

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Winbook XLi freezes in X
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 04:23:32 +0000 (UTC)

cOn Sat, 21 Aug 2010, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

trident cyber 9397dvd

Xvesa works perfectly in Puppy Linux (X11R7, 2.6 kernel)
Tested for over 30 minutes.

Xvesa uclibc and glibc23, Xfbdev glibc, X SVGA with correct XF86Config
all freeze up in BL2. Sometimes immediately. DSL Xvesa also freezes eventually. Both kernel 2.4.31. glibc 2.3
Twice VT1 has also frozen up when I tried to backspace.

Attempting to use svgalib also crashes it (in addition to producing a badly scrambled screen). svgalib uses vesa for the trident.

I am using a vesafb kernel which may be part of the problem.
The text looks bad without framebuffer. There is a separate trident framebuffer module that could be used in all but the terminal from which X is started. Maybe vesafb conflicts with X?

After using Puppy Linux to run e2fsck on BL2 partition, I typed 'reboot' in an rxvt and it crashed Puppy. Some hardware problem to which BL2 (older kernel) is apparently more susceptible.

I still don't know why ALSA cannot handle ES1869 and Puppy and DSL cannot detect the two PS/2-type onboard mice. BL2 had no such problems.