baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera 10.61 locale/fonts problem (BL2)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera 10.61 locale/fonts problem (BL2)
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 13:25:36 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Using my speedy 768bps broadband (which lets me listen to BBC3 lower
768Kbps, which comes to about 75K/sec.
bandwidth while using Opera), I downloaded and unpacked it on /, and there appear to be NO missing dependencies, unlike version 10.1. I read that version 10.5 switched to its own GUI instead of QT, but when I try to run it I get a list of complaints about invalid locale set and failed to install fonts.

It appears to require GLIBC 2.3.2 (Slackware 11 2.3.6 should work with kernel 2.4). Strings opera | grep GLIBC lists 2.3.2 and older.

I have stripped out whatever locale stuff came with various packages. Could someone else please try the latest Opera in BL2 with glibc 2.3.2 or later?
I posted at the Opera forum for help with locales.

Get the bz2 and tar -yxvf opera-10.6* in / then run it from
/opera-10*/lib/opera/opera

There is also the fonts problem - Steven, can you figure this out? Opera 9 works though the font set is limited. Opera 10.1 was unusable in BL2 even with libqt and other dependencies due to some font problem that caused much of the text to appear as little squares. Despite trying to configure things as instructed by the relevant program (see BL archives).

Many other postings about little squares even with 10.60. Bug?

I will investigate Opera 9 adblocking. I found a filter (list of blockable sites) by Fanboy.

http://www.fanboy.co.au.adblock or search on fanboy, adblock and opera for a replacement for default ~/.opera urlfilter.ini There are also shorter lists (which load faster and probably use less memory) of the most common ad sites. And lists to block counters.

It excludes anything with a certain string in it such as doubleclick. Add to the filter with a text editor or by right clicking anywhere on the page, instructions will appear at the page top to click to block anything with the same first part of the URL, or click-Shift to block just this specific string (http://www.ads.com/* or http://www.ads.com/specific.img) The filter is updated often (daily?).

Similar to Seamonkey/Firefox but already built into Opera 9. There is a flashblock program for Opera some place but not needed unless we get flash to install. Many ads are now moving targets.

There is a button to disable/enable content blocking.

There is an adprefs.ini as well with everything set to 0 which may be left over from Opera 7 which had banner ads tailored to your interests.

Sindi Keesan