baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera 10.61 locale/fonts problem (BL2)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera 10.61 locale/fonts problem (BL2)
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 20:39:19 +0000 (UTC)

I have stripped out whatever locale stuff came with various packages. Could someone else please try the latest Opera in BL2 with glibc 2.3.2 or later?
I posted at the Opera forum for help with locales.

In 9.64 Qt complains locales not supported on X server, which means en_US
or en-US.UTF-8 (which requires a unicode charset some place else) is not found in three files where it should be, probably in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale (which also does not exist) and maybe elsewhere such
as /etc/sysconfig.locale (or is this only for console fonts?).

locale.dir
locale.alias
compose.dir

are all in xfree86 package but not found in BL2.
This may be related to missing characters in toolbars and menus and dialog boxes in 10.1 even after installing all dependencies.

Does anyone have a handy copy of these three files, set up for en_US
or anything else? Could not find them online except in the big xfree package. (Which I will download if necessary).

locale -a should list C POSIX and any supported languages.
Opera 10.6 tries to use the first two and says they are invalid.
XSetLocaleModifiers failed with LC_CTYPE 'C' and 'POSIX'.

XftConfig is also in xfree86 but not in BL2. Maybe in BL3.

I will package/upload the extra libraries needed by Opera 10 along
with any missing locale stuff once it is working. No GTK needed here.