baslinux - Re: [BL] 2.6 kernel from puppy linux

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 2.6 kernel from puppy linux
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 15:32:35 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

2.6.21.7 retro kernel boots BL2.

No framebuffer support.

I cannot mount /dev/hda1 /hd - wrong fs......
(Can't do this in puppy either - it is automated somehow in the GUI).

Someone suggested -t ext2. I can mount ext2 drives (without specifying type), just not vfat (wrong fs, bad superblock, too many mounted....)

It may be possible to insmod module.ko (if you have the correct
match between kernel and modules). I will attempt to copy puppy
kernel modules to BL and test.

They won't insert in BL2 2.6.21.7 (Puppy kernel and modules).
'couldn't find the kernel version the module was compiled for'
Maybe I need a newer insmod, or modprobe instead. lsmod does not work either with this kernel. I have not used .ko modules before -
can anyone explain briefly how they work? Perhaps I can compile
.o modules instead (change config somehow).

I will next (if I can remember which computer has the source code)
use the SW11 bare.i config file to compile a 2.6.21.7 kernel and
modules. SW has stopped providing modules, just config file.
Presumably for bare.i.

SW7.1 provides individual modules (as does BL3),
SW8.1 one large file of all the modules

slackware/kernels/modules/config 40k m486 and ISA
PCMCIA = m, different system from what I am used to (tcic, etc.)

I don't see support for CS423x in this kernel. Half of my
laptops have that including the one I want to try 2.6 kernel
with in case it gets USB working. Perhaps that is why CS4232
never works in out-of-the-box Puppy linux. I wonder what else they dropped. ymfpci legacy is not set either (also found in laptops).

1.2MB bare.i (2.6.33.3) vs 1.8MB puppy kernel 2.6.21.7
2006 or earlier.

Is there any good reason to get the latest kernel source code instead of 2.6.21.7 (where IDE drives are still hda not sda)? My newest working
computer is 2006. We now have THREE computers with SATA drives working.
(Someone gave us one that 'did not work' because it had the wrong power supply - needs 24 pin).

I could not get 2.4 to support SATA. I have 2.4.31 and there is a 2.4.37.9 to try from Feb 2010 which might at least fix some relevant bugs (such as my Thinkpad 770 USB crashing problem).

Steven, have you any interest in compiling a 2.6 kernel for BL?