baslinux - [BL] HP Pavilion N5415 works somewhat with BL35

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] HP Pavilion N5415 works somewhat with BL35
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 02:01:32 +0000 (UTC)

Works online with external serial modem, booted with 2-floppy BL3.5, my framebuffer version, which takes 10 minutes to boot as it did in two 120MHz Compaq's that required it due to MCE problem.

XP and Puppy linux don't work with the onboard winmodem or the external serial modem. XP recognizes its ESS winmodem but 'Phone and Modem control panel cannot be opened'. Puppy starts to dial then ppp0 dies (someone else reported this problem recently with a pcmcia modem in a different computer).

Dials and connects with DOS kermit on DOS boot floppy.

So far BL, works better on here than 'modern' OSes.

BL does, however, NOT find USB storage devices with David Moberg's 1-floppy linux. Puppy does. Have not tried my usb-storage kernels yet.

Does not find pcmcia devices. I think it finds the controller and loads the three main modules but not device-specific modules. Acts like it cannot see any cards.

Built-in Accton (tulip) ethernet device (works in Puppy) is not found by BL35 tulip.o.

Puppy linux does not find pcmcia devices either (I tried cardbus and noncardbus, five cards), but finds NIC and loads the tulip module.

PLIP module won't insert. This is common for laptops.

Very few options in Setup. None for serial port or IRQs.

This is the only laptop so far not to work with BL and pcmcia.
One Toshiba needed something changed in Setup, a Compaq needed fast_pci=1, but they eventually worked. Any ideas? Linux on laptops had a broken link to this model. There are scads of Pavilions all with different video and sound. This has Trident Cyberblade and ESS Allegro sound/modem.

Maybe something is broken with the modem setup (not the modem) that BL ignores but the other OSes cannot handle.

Given to us with dead CD-ROM drive (we put in a DVD/CD-RW). I need to use lilo and then edit boot.ini for dual boot with XP before using BL2. Using it (with XP) to tune the piano since slower computers cannot handle low notes and this one has a built-in mike and working sound.
Steven posted ac97_codec.o and maestro3.o which it uses.

BL has worked with minor problems (no sound) on all our pentium laptops up to 400MHz so far. Some 386s were not compatible, some were.

BL can be copied between partitions and still work. Just edit /etc/fstab. DSL linux could not find .xinitrc on the path when I tried that.

Sindi Keesan