baslinux - [BL] Need help with Rosegarden app-defaults file, was Re: Compaq Armada 4120

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Need help with Rosegarden app-defaults file, was Re: Compaq Armada 4120
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 22:54:32 +0000 (UTC)

This computer works perfectly with BL3.

Edit /etc/Xconfig for 800x600x4 (8-bit color LCD)
or change to SVGA X server. No framebuffer video.
Cirrus Logic video and pcmcia controller.

Not quite perfect.

When I try to highlight text using Ctrl^ in pico (e3pi) in console or
X mode, I cannot see the highlighting (with or without red block cursor).
How can I fix this?

Backspace did not work in X until I added to .xinitrc the line:
xmodmap -e 'keycode 22 = Backspace"
I think this should be standard for BL. Backspace NEVER works.

I have glibc 2.2.5.

Opera 8 and 9 don't work in 256 colors. 6 works in mono but won't even access fastmail (at least on a Mac). 7 takes more RAM than 8 and has ad banners. Opera is rather slow to load at 120MHz. This may be why Opera 8 for Win98 won't install.

Links (svgalib or Steven's BL3 X version) works fine, but when run in X it turns the rest of X blue on blue (including the second workspace). Lynx and elinks (which needs kernel 2.4) also work. Did not try netrik or retawq (they are all available at cjb.net free shell accounts).

Dillo requires four libraries from gtk 2.1 which I don't have here.

My intended use is with Rosegarden. It needed three libraries from Steven's x-libs.tgz. Now it complains that Rosegarden Top Box 'Can't open the application default file'. Research reveals that this is .../app-defaults/Rosegarden which unpacked into /usr/lib (precompiled package for libc5 linux).

The libc6 package works and the file is in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 which is
/var/X11R6/lib so I symlinked app-defaults to there from /lib/X11 and
it now loads. I may fix the package at my BL site.

Other problems:

Cannot find its fonts - used default font 'fixed'.
Cannot open editor service.
Cannot open sequencer service (I may need to load sound modules first).

Notate and Edit are greyed out. 'Help is not available at this time'.
Exit did work.

The libc6 version worked for me with BL2 with glibc 2.2.5.
Will switch to that.

This is the ideal laptop for use with Rosegarden as it has a midi port on the extension base.