baslinux - [BL] Compaq Armada 4120 very very slow boot from floppy

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Compaq Armada 4120 very very slow boot from floppy
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 21:24:26 +0000 (UTC)

2-floppy BL3 (my modification for framebuffer) - 9 min for the first disk (linux filesystem, LILO) and 1 min for the second disk (a tgz file, FAT).

1-floppy USB BL3 by David Moberg - SYSLINUX - starts booting then stops.

Boots to DOS at normal speed. So does Win98. It was sold with Win95.

I tried two floppy drives.

Any explanation? I have not installed to HD yet, booted with loadlin (BL2), or tested with DSL live CD (syslinux) Booted BL2 (presumably at normal speed) with LILO from CF-IDE drive, then the owner gave me the laptop without CF-IDE because he wanted something faster.

120MHz 1997 with CD-ROM drive in base station. The base station has a MIDI/GAME port and better speakers, which would make this ideal for use with BL3, Rosegarden and Timidity for libc5, and my 1986 Yamaha electronic (midi) piano. Even came with two (!) working 'handle' batteries. Someone kindly posted take-it-apart and keyboard repair instructions with lots of photos. The keyboard connector needs frequent cleaning and the CMOS battery was dead. Said to work with older Debian and Redhat. BL3 floppy works once it boots. 11" screen, lightweight, thin.

After the 10 min boot, 3com PCMCIA network card works so I can copy
BL3 from another laptop.

Sindi Keesan