baslinux - Re: [BL] Compaq Armada 4120 very very slow boot from floppy

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Compaq Armada 4120 very very slow boot from floppy
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 17:36:42 +0000 (UTC)

Xvesa works. No framebuffer support.

Wrong. Xvesa segfaults (standard BL3 Xvesa - did not try others).
Standard SVGA server works.

Download and pkg no-xvesa.tgz (from BL3 site)

Copy XF86_SVGA from Slackware 4 tgz package to /usr/X11R6/bin
ln -s XF86_SVGA X (or install the whole package)

edit /etc/XF86Config to change "Microsoft" to "PS/2"
(Steven can you please make PS/2 the default or at least put
#Protocol "PS/2" on the next line as a hint. All my BL-capable
laptops have PS/2 mice. Or set no-xvesa.tgz script to recognize
the mouse chosen by Xsetup in Xconfig.)

X works now, full screen.

Console mode has 1" black stripes top and bottom. Since this kernel dropped vga=ask support,
in DOS I set
mode con lines=43 or 50
which gives more lines but still black stripes (2" at bottom for 50 lines)

Usable as is but cursor is hard to find.
I changed the cursor in rc to red blinking square.

echo -e '\033[?17;0;64c'
(Might need to do it for each console).

Very lightweight small laptop suitable for wireless use at library or cafe and since it came with two usable batteries even outdoors as an internet radio since the sound and speakers work with BL. It might also work (badly) with DSL linux, but not with a GUI browser. Hurray for BL!