baslinux - Re: [BL] OPERA 10 near- victory, was Re: Opera 10 experiment, was Re: dual-boot bl and puppy linux with loadlin or lilo

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] OPERA 10 near- victory, was Re: Opera 10 experiment, was Re: dual-boot bl and puppy linux with loadlin or lilo
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 01:59:27 +0000 (UTC)

I read up on xft and fontconfig and added /etc/fonts/local.conf directing fontconfig to /usr/local/AbiSuite/fonts (using XML and fontconfig), which eliminated the two error messages at startup, but created a new problem (undefined symbol) which prevented Opera from loading, so I removed local.conf and will use it with invisible menu. I might need Slackware 12 fontconfig to eliminate the problem but then I would need a later glibc and a 2.6 kernel to match.

Clicking on the third menu item, first line, fifth line (status bar?), gives you a green Turbo on rectangle at bottom left and the 100% at bottom right that was in Opera 9 but not in 10. And No Images icon which you can toggle from No Images to Show Images to Cached Images to Show Images but not back to No Images (which I fixed from the menu instead - item three [][][][] VIEW, line three [][][][][][] IMAGES, line three - hint from the icons).

A printout of Opera 9 menu would help. [][][][] is FILE or VIEW.
[][][][][] TOOLS. I already had the 100% in Opera 9. 10 was supposedly using the same preferences but did not display the same.

You can copy the Windows skin from 9 to 10 to eliminate the 'new look'. Other new features include the ability to resize search area (you can use F2 in Opera 9 instead) and tabs, decorate speed dial, use webmail as mailer, and bloat your emails with not only HTML but RTF, CSS, links, inline images. Spellchecking. Bittorrent.

They claim 40% more speed with Presto engine at Gmail. Turbo does not do anything noticeable at sites I use. gmail is 17 sec first time with turbo on, then 3 sec to reload with or without turbo on, without images. links2 non-graphical takes 9 seconds. (And loads itself instantly to start with).

The working XML is the most attractive feature to me. I would use Opera 10 where links, Opera9 and Seamonkey fail, because it is faster than Firefox 2 (which also does XML).

Sindi Keesan