baslinux - [BL] Opera 10 experiment, was Re: dual-boot bl and puppy linux with loadlin or lilo

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Opera 10 experiment, was Re: dual-boot bl and puppy linux with loadlin or lilo
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 17:13:26 +0000 (UTC)

Puppy 2 and 3 don't find their sfs files when booted with loadlin.
There was a change in initrd for version 4.

Puppy 4.12 (Browserlinux) and Puppy 4.30 boot with loadlin (but Browserlinux uses Firefox 3.5 and simply loading it uses up almost all of my 112MB memory, so use 4.31 with seamonkey if short on memory).
4.31 is a lot of upgrades (to fix crashes) and other bug fixes and more modem drivers. There is a 4.30 > 4.31 service pack.

Puppy will probably still fail to work on a lot of older hardware where BL does work (even if you have 128MB RAM) but does have cardbus support and gtk2.

Puppy 4 will work with lilo ONLY if the files are all in hda1 (FAT partition in my case), otherwise lilo complains about a syntax error on the line after the last line of lilo.conf and lilo apparently does not really install at all. Loadlin works with the .sfs files in /dev/hda2 and the other files in c:\puppy431.

Puppy linux and BL both failed to play an audible sound with opl3sa2 sound chip in a Gateway Solo 2000 laptop where sound worked with Win98.

Links2 is available for download. Steven's BL3 version is libc5 X so won't work with even BL2 and not with Puppy.

There is no Opera package because it is not GPL. You could download some version of Opera 10, unpack in / (in the BL2 partition if you want to save it there), and try to run from the wrapper script 'opera' in /opera-10*. Puppy might have the required dependencies, in which case you can experiment with using the Puppy kernel and modules and glibc in BL2. (BL3 was destroyed when I tried a glibc 2.3.6 upgrade). These upgrades might then let you copy over other dependencies needed by recent Firefox or Seamonkey (gtk2 stuff) which need the later glibc.

X and sound are so different I don't know if you can just upgrade by copying them. I have not figured out why cardbus works in Puppy and not in BL except for wired ethernet.

Sindi Keesan