baslinux - Re: [BL] CD to MP3

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] CD to MP3
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 03:28:45 +0000 (UTC)

Our Kanguru has a broken headphone jack. We traded a repaired LCD monitor
for this 512MB one. The monitor had a bad capacitor in the invertor
board.

Fixed. The radio can record directly to WAV (not MP3, nor can the voice) but only gets local stations (nothing classical) so I went to Classic Cat, which has links to lots of free MP3 performances, by composer. (Some are broken). They seem to support the site by links to amazon (buy the CD) and a sheetmusic place.

I just downloaded the Bach Brandenburg Concertos 1-6 (from a Cesky Rozhlas radio transmission originally) and Keyboard Partitas 1-6 (by various performers including Japanese and Chinese) on the neighbor's deck (at 30K/sec due to her poor signal) and will copy them to /dev/sda4 which is the Kanguru's storage space. sda1 2 and 3 are not FAT. I don't know what they are used for.

The Trio uses sda1 for file storage.

After being stuck in XP and Mac, there were various trashes directories which can probably be removed. Someone said the MP3/WMA/WAV/TXT software is in ROM.

Is there any good reason to prefix files with '01 ' '02 ' etc. or can they just be placed with more reasonable file names into the 9 permissible directories (navigate with >> or <<)? I read that people do this when burning MP3 files to CD to get them to burn and play in a particular order. This player came with files named things like "01 track1.mp3" (without the quotation marks). One of the players also came with .jpg files related to the songs (of no possible use without a viewer).
You can add .lrc lyric files if you like to see words scroll across a very small screen (20 char at most).

I have named these files things like bach-brand1-1.mp3 ......1-2 etc. so they will play in correct order.

These players are too wide to fit into the USB slot in my Gateway laptop without a hub used as an extender (it is right next to the power cord plug).

How does one burn MP3 files to CD? A CD would hold more than the player and we also fixed a DVD/MP3-CD player.

mplayer works perfectly with some nice Harman Kardon speakers that were thrown out because they are too soft (bad amplifier transistor?). Hit * a few times. It also gives you more control than gxine or xine (you can fast forward three different amounts). The latter failed at playing any DVD that mplayer could not handle. Also do not work at 1GHz and I don't see a way to framedrop with gxine. xine had various CLI switches.

Does VLC or OGG handle menus better? Or subtitles? Mplayer sometimes picks the wrong language and you have to make random guesses (specify French in order not to get Hebrew).