baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 16:54:16 +0000 (UTC)

Sorry about a mail that was not supposed to go to the list.

Opera 10.01 is available for Debian 4.0 which is glibc 2.3.6, also used by Slackware 11. If you upgrade to SW11 glibc and add a few other libraries (I posted a package of the essential), Firefox 1.5 and 2.0 (from DSL linux) and Seamonkey 1.1.17 (from their site, GTK1) will be usable and Opera 10 might work.

The Debian 4.0/5.0 Opera 10 package is 9.5MB and the Debian Static QT version (does not say for which Debian) version 9.4MB. The former is QT-shared. The 'static' QT version still won't download for me with links2 as a file, just as gibberish. Use Opera 9 for the download.
With luck the static version will use the same glibc.

You can choose default package or .tar.gz or .tar.bz2, but choosing .tar.bz2 still gets you the .deb version, gcc3qt3 which I hope is static or includes libqt.so.

Ubuntu 8.0 and SuSe 10.3 Opera packages are probably for later glibc.
Most other OS's have only one package, probably for recent glibc.

An opera forum says all the builds are now libqt shared, but the non-shared ones ones include libqt itself. Some OS's have a smaller package (8.1MB vs 9.6MB) which probably does not include libqt.

qt3 uses its own fonts, so Opera 9.64 may be using 'core X fonts' which in our case would be Xvesa fonts (a very small selection not matching what you think you are choosing).

The ldd from Slackware 8.1 could not handle a (Slackware?) Opera 10beta (qtshared), giving some odd error message. Puppy 4.3 ldd said it needed only libqt. Please could someone with glibc 2.3.6 and broadband try the Debian Static QT. Unpack with ar -x package.deb cd / tar -zxvf data.tar.gz cd opera-10* ./opera

The neighbor's deck where I can download at 30K/sec is now below freezing.